How to Enroll
|Important Dates||Need help? Schedule an advising appointment via email: email@example.com|
|March 1||Online Enrollment Form Opens.|
|May 1||Deadline for students requiring an F or J Visa to submit FC Enrollment Form.|
|May 1||Deadline to request campus housing.|
Freshmen Connection Enrollment Process
To enroll, students must complete Steps 1-5. To live on campus, students also need to complete Step 6 (Request Housing & Meal Plan).
Activate Directory ID and Password (Select “Activate Account”)
- The Directory ID and password grants access to UMD systems and resources, specifically the FC Enrollment Form, the Math Placement Test, Housing, Dining, Financial Aid, and more.
- In addition to the Directory ID and password, students use Multi-Factor Authentication to access UMD systems and resources.
- TERPmail is UMD's official means of communication and is required for access to UMD Wireless Networks and UMD's electronic learning management system (ELMS).
- After activating TERPmail, you must change your email of record to the TERPmail account. Students are responsible for checking their TERPmail and responding in a timely fashion. Check your spam folder once you’ve set-up TERPmail as the email of record.
- Visit Testudo (Change Address/Email
- Log-in with your Directory ID and password
- Select “Edit”
- Change posted email to your TERPmail account
- Select “Update”
Other Important Information
- University Identification Number (UID): 9-digit number that appears on your admission letter and will be on your UMD Student Photo ID card. Always include this number when communicating with faculty or staff, since this is the best and quickest way to find your record in any UMD system.
- Student ID Card: Physical ID for UMD students who confirm admission and register for classes. The card is issued during orientation and used to access library services, campus shuttle buses, the Campus Recreation Center, athletic and other events, and more.
All students must submit an FC enrollment form. This includes selecting courses for your fall schedule. There are two parts to this process.
Designing Your Fall Schedule
- This website page provides tools for you to select courses and design your fall semester schedule based on your intended major.
Submit Your Completed Enrollment Form
- Once you’ve selected your courses, you must submit the completed FC enrollment form.
- An academic advisor reviews the submitted form to ensure that you have selected the correct courses for your intended major.
- Online Math Placement Test
- If you experience problems, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, UID, and statement of the issue.
- All incoming UMD freshmen are required to complete the Math Placement Test (MPT). While you may submit the FC Enrollment Form prior to completing the MPT, your form will not be processed (you will not be enrolled in classes) until your MPT results have posted.
- The MPT provides a measure of a student’s math skills. The results are used to ensure that students are eligible to enroll in the math requirement associated with their intended major. Results are distributed and reviewed at orientation.
About the Online MPT
- See Math Placement Test Information for preparation resources, guidelines, and a sample exam.
- Students may retake the MPT one time prior to the start of the fall semester and 30 days after first taking it.
- After 30 days, contact email@example.com to request a retake. Provide your full name and UID. After completing the retake, email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may look up your score.
- Students who receive testing accommodations must contact UMD’s Accessibility and Disability Service (ADS) and make arrangements to take the paper test. The online MPT is not available to students who receive accommodations for testing.
- Once you have contacted ADS, submit your FC Enrollment Form. In the note field, indicate the date that you will be taking the MPT with ADS.
- Any math or math-dependent courses will not be finalized until you have taken the MPT. You will not be penalized for any delay with regard to your testing accommodation.
- All incoming UMD freshmen are required to complete a new student orientation. This provides an overview of the upcoming fall semester. You cannot register for orientation until 48 business hours after confirming your spring admission and submitting the FC Enrollment Form. Orientation dates are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Advisors discuss important academic rules and regulations that you’ll need to know when the fall semester begins. Math Placement Test (MPT) results will be reviewed. You’ll review guidelines on how to change your fall schedule and have an opportunity to add/drop/waitlist courses (pending seat availability).
- Campus Housing (Department of Resident Life): Deadline to request campus housing is May 1.
- Off-Campus Housing Services: For students interested in living in a local apartment.
- Dining at Maryland: Provides information on campus meal plans for residential and commuter students. Students living on campus are required to select a meal plan as part of their campus housing request.