Skip to main content

Payment, Billing & Financial Aid

State and/or Federal Financial Aid

Students enrolled in Freshmen Connection are eligible to receive federal and state funding to help cover their costs of education. The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) notifies spring admitted students who submitted their FAFSA forms by the January 1 deadline about their financial aid award package beginning in early March. This email notification contains instructions on viewing and accepting any financial aid awards.

  • Students who have questions about their aid package should contact the OSFA: or 301-314-8377.

OES Grant

The Office of Extended Studies (OES) is pleased to offer a grant for undergraduate students who accept the offer of spring admission to the University of Maryland and enroll in Freshmen Connection. The grant is designed to provide need-based aid to students who otherwise could not afford to enroll in Freshmen Connection. Awardees are determined by the Office of Student Financial Aid.  Students must have completed the FAFSA, demonstrate need, and enroll in at least 12 credits during the fall semester. While Financial Aid makes all aid determinations, degree-seeking UMD undergraduates who believe they have extenuating circumstances may contact with additional information. Please note: funds are limited.

Terp Payment Plan

The Terp Payment Plan (TPP) is a convenient alternative to a lump sum payment. By enrolling in the plan, payment can be made in monthly installments with no interest.

529 College Savings Plan

College Savings Plans are managed through the financial institution with which there is a plan. See State of Maryland College Savings Plan.

Tuition Remission

Tuition remission does not cover mandatory student services or other fees. UMCP employees should talk with their unit’s HR representative. All other UMD System employees must receive authorization from their home institution. See UMCP UHR Tuition Remission.

Third Party/Sponsored Billing

This is when a private or government agency is paying any portion of a student’s tuition or fees and they are requesting a bill from the University. See Third Party/Sponsored Billing.

Billing Schedule

Fall tuition and fees post to the student account around in mid to late July. For complete information on the student bill, billing reminders, and payment due dates, see Student Financial Services—Billing Schedule.

Important Notes

  • Failure to make payment by the deadline will result in late fees and may lead to a financial block preventing future registration. See Student Financial Services—Billing Overview.
  • If using the Terp Payment Plan, Financial Aid, a College Savings Plan, etc., contact the Financial Service Center via email ( prior to the payment deadline to avoid late fees.

How to Submit Payment

FERPA & Student Record Access

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

  • FERPA is a Federal law that protects a student’s privacy interest in their education records. FERPA provides that educational institutions, such as postsecondary institutions, may disclose education records, or personally identifiable information from such records, only if an eligible student has provided prior written consent, except in several specified circumstances. For complete information, see Office of the Registrar—Student Privacy (FERPA Explained).

Granting Access to Student Academic or Financial Record

  • At UMD, students have the option of granting access to their academic or financial records. Students are not required, by FERPA, to grant this access. Students who depend on a parent/guardian to submit payment on their behalf must give them access. The process for granting access to either the academic or financial record is split.

Cancellation Policy

Cancellation means terminating enrollment before the start of the fall semester.

  • View the Undergraduate Catalog for complete information on cancellation.
  • For the last day to cancel FC enrollment with 100% of tuition and fees, see Office of the Registrar, Academic Deadlines. Select Fall & Spring Semesters. 
  • Cancellation requests must be received in writing. Provide name, address, student ID number, and statement of cancellation to:
    Freshmen Connection
    Fax: 301.314.4071

Withdrawal Policy

Withdrawal means terminating enrollment between the first day and the last day of the fall semester. A withdrawal statement and effective date will be recorded on your final transcript.

The University does not automatically refund a credit balance. To request a refund, see Refunds Overview-Student Financial Services.

Questions? Contact Us