ELMS (Electronic Learning Management System) is the online environment that supports online teaching and learning at UMD. ELMS offers access to the following:
- Static Content: Syllabi, schedules, announcements, and lecture notes.
- Interactive Content: Discussion groups, live chats, and online assessments.
- To access course content, you are required to have TERPmail.
- The course instructor must first load the online course into ELMS.
- This may not occur earlier than 24-48 hours prior to the course start date. Some course instructors may wait until the first day of class.
- Only students who are registered and on the official class list can access the course.
- If you register late, it may take up to 24 hours for ELMS to give online access.
Online Instructional Options
Courses that have online instruction will always have an “ELMS” designation on Testudo (Schedule of Classes).
The instructor provides students with online content to review on their own time. Student is not required to login at a specific time. Course information will have this notation: Class time/details on ELMS.
Synchronous instruction is provided in real-time, where the class meets online at specified times. Students are expected to be in class, online, at the specified time(s). This information will be listed as a specific online meeting time.
Some portions of the course are provided synchronously, and other portions are provided asynchronously. Specific meeting dates/times for the synchronous portion of the course are listed.
Class meets both face-to-face and online. The location for the face-to-face element will provide a specific classroom and meet time. The location for the online element will indicate “ONLINE.” Instruction for the online element can be provided in one of three ways: asynchronous, synchronous, or a combination of both.
UMD Online Resources
- Accessibility and Disability Service: Online Portal Services
- Career Center: Online Career Management Tool
- Counseling Center: Provides support services that promote the personal, social, and academic success of UMD students.
- Email & Wireless Networks: TERPmail, Email of Record, University Wireless Networks
- How to Access UMD UID and ID Card for Online Students
- Libraries: Online Resources and Services
- Online Student Success Orientation: Free workshop with strategies for successful online learning.
- Writing Center Online Tutoring