Summer Session Visiting Students
Summer Session visiting students must complete or understand the protocols listed below to access UMD accounts, resources and systems. Visiting students complete these protocols once they have received notification of admission to Summer Session. Note: students who attended in a previous Summer or Winter Session are required to submit a new application. See Summer Session, Apply.
- Activate the Directory ID and Password. Use the UID provided in the admission email to log in.
- Set-up TERPmail Password. A TERPmail account is automatically created for undergraduates who activate their Directory ID. Students receive instructions on setting up a TERPmail password via the email used on their application.
- TERPmail is UMD's official means of communication and is required for access to UMD Wireless Networks and UMD's electronic learning management system (ELMS). See TERPmail Frequently Asked Questions.
- Return to The Graduate School Application Portal.
- Graduate students are automatically assigned two email accounts: UMD Gmail and TERPmail.
- UMD Gmail (@umd.edu) is the default for communication.
- TERPmail may also be utilized. See TERPmail Frequently Asked Questions.
Guidelines & Assistance
- Contact email@example.com.
- It may take up two business days (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm) for the Directory ID to become effective.
Students with a documented disability are eligible to receive the accommodations necessary to ensure equal access to UMD programs. Students who have an accommodation at their home institution must make arrangements for the accommodation to apply at UMD. See Accessibility & Disability Service. Contact information is located at the bottom of that page.
Visiting Students Taking a Course That Meets at the College Park Campus
- To obtain a photo Student ID card, visit Office of the Registrar, Customer Services, First Floor, Mitchell Building.
- For business hours, see Office of the Registrar.
- Bring a government-issued photo id for identification purposes.
- For location assistance, see Campus Map.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visiting Students Taking an Online Course
- Students in online courses are not issued a Student ID card.
- Online course materials and resources are accessed through the Directory ID/Multi-Factor Authentication login protocols.
UMD issues a 9-digit number (called UID) that is used to identify the student academic and financial record.
- The UID can be found by viewing the University Directory Entry.
- Always include this number when communicating with faculty or staff.
At UMD, the admitted student has the option of granting access to their academic or financial record. Students are not required to grant this access. See Office of the Registrar—Student Privacy (FERPA Explained).
To grant access to the academic or financial record, see below.