Frequently Asked Questions

HESPIE Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Who can I contact if I have questions or need help?

Contact Student and Program Services at oes@umd.edu.

Is a bachelor's degree required to participate in the Hearing & Speech in the Evening (HESPIE) program?

Yes. Admission to the HESPIE program requires that you have earned a four-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum 2.0 GPA.

Do I need to submit official transcripts from previous colleges and/or universities when I apply?

Yes, you are required to submit a complete set of original transcripts. Your application is not complete and will not be considered for admission until transcripts have been received.

What courses are offered in this program?

A list of courses, descriptions, and syllabi can be found under Courses and Meet Times.

Is there a certificate or degree available through this program?

No. HESPIE is a non-degree granting program. Students take only those courses they need to reach their personal educational goals. There is no prescribed sequence of coursework.

Are the HESPIE program courses special continuing education versions of the courses?

No. The courses offered in the HESPIE program follow the same syllabus and laboratory exercises as the courses given to our degree-seeking students. They are not condensed or simplified continuing education versions of those courses. The program's evening timeframe makes these courses part of the University's continuing education outreach to individuals needing to extend their education beyond their baccalaureate degree work.

Are any adjustments made in these courses because the students are employed full-time?

These courses follow the same syllabus and laboratory exercises as the courses given to our traditional day students. As a result, the courses possess the appropriate level of academic content and are taught with appropriate academic rigor. That being the case, there are no major modifications in the courses. Individual faculty and teaching assistants use a variety of means to assist students between classes and laboratories, including e-mail, the university's Web pages, ELMS and course list serves.

What are prerequisite courses?

Prerequisite courses are the specific coursework that students should have successfully completed in order to assure that they have the skills and knowledge required to proceed at the appropriate pace of the course.

Do I have to meet the prerequisites for courses?

Yes, UMD takes prerequisite requirements seriously. Professors and teaching assistants assume that students have an appropriate academic background and they proceed at a pace that cannot be slowed to explain material or procedures learned in prerequisite courses. Indeed, some departments and professors will check on students' prerequisites at the beginning of the course, and students can be "administratively dropped" from a course for which they do not have the appropriate prerequisites.

Do I have to have the specific prerequisites listed in the University of Maryland College Park catalog?

The courses listed are the courses offered by the university that provide the necessary skills and background for our courses. Students may have had comparable courses at another institution; usually those equivalent courses are appropriate, but the determination must be made by UMD.

How do I find out if the courses I took at another institution meet the prerequisites for the University of Maryland?

UMD’s Transfer Credit Services has a database that provides online course equivalency.

What are the tuition and fees?

Additional tuition and fees information can be found on the Tuition and Fees page.

Why do I have to pay fees?

All students at UMD share the cost of student services. As a part-time student, your fees are reduced in acknowledgement of your reduced use of campus services and facilities. In addition to facilities maintenance, your fees include: use of the campus libraries, campus shuttle system, campus recreation facilities, the performing arts center and the student union.

Can I get financial aid for participating in the program?

Additional financial aid information can be found under Tuition and Fees.

What does it mean to audit a course?

HESPIE classes are small and every student is a contributing member of the class. In the smaller classes, students auditing the course may be expected to participate, although they do not take exams or submit assignments. Students do not receive a grade or applicable academic credit for the course. The notation "AUD" will be placed on the transcript for each course audited. A notation to the effect that this symbol does not imply attendance or any other effort in the course will be included on the transcript in the explanation of the grading system. You must contact Student and Program Services oes@umd.edu by the end of the schedule adjustment period to change your grading method.

Can I change my mind about auditing a course?

Students who register to audit a course can change that registration to traditional graded course participation within the schedule adjustment period, but not beyond that date.

Do I have to pay to audit a course?

Yes. Students are charged tuition and fees for a course audit.

What is an "Immunization Block"?

Failure to submit the completed health form to the University Health Center by the first day of class of your first semester, results in a registration block on your student record, preventing future registration. You will not be permitted to register until the Health Center receives your completed Medical History and Immunization Record form.

What are the immunization requirements at The University of Maryland?

Questions regarding the University's Immunization Policy or the "Immunization Form" may be directed to the University Heath Center via email: health@umd.edu.

Find Out More