Academic Policies

Professional Graduate Programs

Academic Policies

Health Requirement | Continuous Registration | Leave of Absence | Transfer Credit | Academic Probation & Dismissal | Schedule Adjustment | Appeals to Policy | Enrollment Verification | Non-Program Student Enrollment | Transcripts | Record Privacy

Health Requirement

Newly admitted students in face-to-face or blended programs are required to submit UMD's Medical History and Immunization Record form to the University Health Center. Students in fully online programs are exempt from this requirement. Failure to submit this form prior to the first day of your first semester results in a registration block. The University Health Center removes the block when the completed form has been received. Questions regarding UMD’s immunization policy or the immunization form may be directed to the University Heath Center at 301-314-8182. 

The Graduate School Policies

Continuous Registration Policy

  • Depending on the calendar of the graduate program into which a student has been admitted, graduate students must register for courses each semester (fall/spring) or each term (I, II, III, and IV) until the degree is awarded. If the student does not register, s/he will be dismissed from the Graduate School at the end of the semester/term for failure to comply with this requirement. See The Graduate School’s Continuous Registration Policy and Petition for Waiver of Continuous Registration Form.

Leave of Absence

Transfer Credit 

  • The Graduate School has strict rules and timelines on acceptance of transfer credit. See Transfer of Credit.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

  • The Graduate School monitors a student’s grade point average each semester or term.  A student whose cumulative grade point average falls below 3.0 will be placed on academic probation by the Graduate School.  When a student is placed on probation, the Graduate School will notify both the student and the Graduate Director of the student's program. Permission of the academic advisor and the Graduate Director will be required for a student on probation to register for courses.  For complete information, see the Graduate School’s Academic Probation and Dismissal Policy.
  • F-1 students follow the same university policies regarding probation and dismissal.  If an F-1 student is dismissed from the University and can no longer enroll full time in program requirements, that student can no longer remain on UMD F1/J1 immigration sponsorship. Students facing this possible outcome are encouraged to work with the University’s International Student and Scholar Services to discuss possible immigration options. F-1/J-1 students are permitted to continue in the program while on academic probation.

International Students

  • One requirement of maintaining F-1/J-1 status includes registering full time for each semester. International students must register for and complete a full course of study each required term, as defined by the accredited educational institution in which the student is registered. 
  • F-1/J-1 students who fail a course are still considered maintaining status as long as a grade is recorded for the course. 
  • Students who change to audit, receive a NG,  drop a course, or retroactively withdraw for a course can not use those credits toward their calculation of full time status.
  • F-1 and J-1 students who exceed the time to completion as listed on their I-20/DS2019 must request a program extension in order to remain in F1/J1 status past the original expected completion date. Extensions to an immigration document may not exceed one year at a time.

Other Graduate School Policies

Schedule Adjustment (Cancel, Drop, Withdraw)

Cancellation of Courses by University of Maryland

  • The University reserves the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment or for other reasons that it deems valid. Appropriate refunds will be made. Because cancellation of a course may occur so close to the beginning of class, there is not always time to send notification. Whenever possible, notification will be made via email.

Cancellation of Registration by Student

  • Cancellation of registration means that the student cancels their enrollment in all courses prior to the first day of classes for a semester/term. Students who cancel registration prior to the first day of classes receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees. Failure to attend class does not result in automatic cancellation nor is a student relieved of any academic and/or financial obligation. Courses dropped prior to the first day of classes will not appear on the student record, nor count towards the number of attempts a student has for any given course. Students process the cancellation of registration prior to the first day of classes via Testudo (See Registration (Drop/Add).

Schedule Adjustment

  • Begins on the first day of classes and terminates at various points depending of the semester/term length. Once the schedule adjustment period has ended, courses may not be added without special permission (in writing) by the student’s academic college. In addition, requests for withdrawals, single course drop with ‘W,’ and other changes that occur between the end of schedule adjustment and the last day of a specific semester/term of enrollment must be received in writing (via email or fax) with the student name and UID number.

Single Course Drop

  • Once the semester/term starts, dropping a single course means that you are registered for two or more courses within a single specific semester or term. Once you drop the single course before the end of scheduled adjustment, you must remain registered for at least one course within that semester/term. A single course drop during the schedule adjustment period will not appear on the student record, nor will it count towards the number of attempts a student has for any given course. A full credit is not available for courses dropped on or after the first day of classes. Students may process single course drops via Testudo (See Registration (Drop/Add).

Single Course Drop with ‘W’

  • Means that you are dropping a single course for a specific semester/term after the schedule adjustment period ends, remaining registered for at least one course in that session. The drop period begins at the close of the schedule adjustment period and terminates at various points depending on the semester/term length. Students must submit a written request to


  • Means that you are terminating registration for all courses within a specific semester/term (even if registered for just one course) between the first day and the posted deadline of the semester/term in which you are registered. A notation of withdrawn from semester/term and the effective date will post to your student record. See the Graduate School’s Withdrawal from Classes Policy and Graduate Student Withdrawal Form. Forward the completed form to

Appeals: Exception to Academic Policy

Submit the Appeal Form.

Deadline for Appeal Submission:

  • Semester-based Graduate Programs. Fall Semester: January 15; Winter Session; March 15; Spring Semester: June 15; Summer Term: September 15.
  • Term-based Graduate Programs. Term I: December 15; Term II: March 15; Term III: June 15; Term IV: September 15.

Required Supporting Documentation: Exception to Academic Policy requests due to extenuating circumstances relating to your registration require a formal written appeal. If you experience an issue in submitting the appeal or have a question, contact An appeal will not be considered until documentation supporting the claims made in the appeal is received. Such documentation may include but is not limited to:

  • Medical: Verification of the severity of the condition that includes a statement on how the condition affected your ability to perform coursework. Documentation from medical or hospital personnel must be typed and signed on official letterhead. Emails or unsigned letters on a plain stationary are not acceptable.
  • Death in the Family: Copy of death certificate (or verification of death from hospital or attending physician, typed and signed on official letterhead) with a statement of the deceased's relation to the student. Emails or unsigned letters on plain stationary are not acceptable.
  • Course Instructor or Academic Advisor: May submit a statement of support on department letterhead or from the instructor/academic advisor’s campus email. The statement must include your student name, UID, course information, date of registration, and an explanation of why the course instructor or academic advisor supports your appeal.
  • Approved Appeal from College/Department: Some Colleges/Departments require that you appeal to them first for requests that have academic ramifications such as late/retroactive changes to your student record. To process your request, our office must also receive a copy of your College/Department approved appeal.

How to Attach Documentation: The above documentation may be uploaded to the Appeal Form BUT only as one file. If you have more than one document, either combine all documents into one file or email with the additional documentation.

  1. Complete all other sections of the appeal form.
  2. File Title: Provide a name for your document (the documentation will not attach without a title); ex. "Appeal Documentation"
  3. File Path: Select the Choose File button and locate where your document is stored

Timeline: The average review time is two weeks from the date that the appeal and all documentation are received. Confirmation of the decision is sent to the email address listed on the appeal form.

Enrollment Verification

Students are sometimes required to provide semester enrollment verifications to health insurers or others that require proof of enrollment. Request Enrollment Verification.

Non-Program Graduate Student Registration

The Graduate School has determined that UMD graduate students may enroll in any UMD graduate course, subject to appropriate permissions. Courses in programs administered through the Office of Extended Studies have major code registration restrictions. Here are additional restrictions to consider:

  • Students admitted into a program that uses the semester-based calendar may not enroll in a program that uses the term-based calendar.
  • Students admitted into a program that uses the term-based calendar may not enroll in a program that uses the semester-based calendar.

Below is the registration procedure.

  1. Email your academic advisor for enrollment permission. If an international student, contact International Student & Scholar Services to ensure eligibility.
  2. Email the program’s academic director. Contact information is located on the program website.
    • Provide full name and UID, asking for permission to enroll.
    • Include your academic advisor’s approval email.
    • Include the course #, section #, and semester/term information for the course in which you want permission to register.
    • The program’s academic director determines whether to provide a permission to enroll stamp.
    • Once you have received notification that a stamp has been entered, you may register for the specified course #, section #, and semester/term.
  3. Tuition is charged at the program rate.
    • If you are receiving the tuition remission benefit and there is a balance due, you will be responsible for this difference. Tuition remission benefit questions should be directed to your unit’s human resource office.


Learn how to obtain an official UMD transcript.

FERPA (Record Privacy)

Learn more about the Federal law that protects a student’s privacy interest in his or her ‘education records.’

Find Out More