Workforce Development Programs
Apply the resources and expertise of a world-class research institution for your professional development needs. Connect to UMD expertise and develop a customized training program for your employees. Workforce Development Programs are designed to promote world-class learning that is relevant, responsive, and convenient. Programs are delivered through face-to-face, online, or blended instruction that promotes effective learning with lasting impact.
Below is a just sample list of customized Workforce Development Programs developed to grow careers, build a more effective workforce, or drive employee advancement. Contact email@example.com to discuss your professional development training needs.
Academy for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Innovation Boot Camp: Combines Lean Startup with Design Thinking to transform employees into innovators who have the skills, tools, and mindset to tackle and solve challenges.
Department of Communication, College of Arts and Humanities
- Introduction to Computer-Assisted Translation: Introduces the use of computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools to support large-scale translation projects and streamline translation processes.
- Note-taking in Consecutive Interpreting: Provides a review of note-taking skills across language combinations, including exercises to develop a strong note-taking technique. Participants should have some experience interpreting in the consecutive mode.
- Course Design for Interpreter Education: Provides an overview of course design for interpreting and includes practical exercises in writing syllabi. Participants should be interpreters teaching or interested in teaching in interpreter education programs.
- Conference Terminology and Procedures: Explores the terminology and procedure used at a great variety of meetings to help the student understand the underlying motivations and tactics used by participants to achieve their goals.
- Technology Solutions for the Professional Translator: Focuses on computer-aided translation (CAT) tools and translation environment tools (TEnTs), data resources and machine translation.
- Intensive Workshop in American Language and Culture for Professional Interpreters: Emphasis on the skills needed to interpret effectively into non-native English with an intensive study of American culture.
- Introduction to Consecutive Interpreting: Designed for bi-lingual participants, interpreting strategies and techniques are discussed and practiced.
School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, College of Arts and Humanities
- Pedagogy and Second Language Acquisition: Provides instruction for professionals on second language acquisition.