- Terp Young Scholars is an academic program. Students are admitted as non-degree seeking students to the University of Maryland for the Summer Term. Students are registered for one 3-credit university course for which a grade and credit will be earned. The course may not be taken pass-fail or audit. The grade will post to the UMD transcript and will be part of the student record.
- Students must attend the program in its entirety. Students are not permitted to miss any class time, including arriving late and/or leaving early. Anyone who has an obligation such as employment, club sport, travel, or similar commitment should consider whether this will interfere with program requirements.
- Applicants are encouraged to use their U.S. Social Security number. If you do not, this will have implications on confirming your program admission, accessing your student information, and affect any future applications to UMD.
- The Confirmation of Admission process must be completed by the due date associated with admission. This includes payment. Should confirmation not be completed by the due date, the offer of admission will be rescinded.
- Acceptance into Terp Scholars does not guarantee admission into a degree-seeking program at UMD.
- International Applicants, including permanent residents and students currently in the U.S. on a visa, have a separate application process.
How to Apply
Terp Young Scholars has a three-step application process. Program admission is competitive and contingent upon space availability. Early applicants are more likely to receive their first course selection and be guaranteed accommodations. Transcripts and recommendations may be digitally uploaded upon application completion or may be faxed or emailed to our office. Students who attended Terp Young Scholars in a previous year need only submit the application and report card/transcript. In addition, the application fee is waived. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the application fee waiver code.
- NOTE: Please do not use Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge to submit the application or payment of the application fee. Students using these browsers have received error messages after submission leading to the incorrect assumption that neither application nor payment was successful. Students receive an email confirmation following successful submission for both the application and payment of the application fee. If you did not receive both emails OR if you simply want verification, e-mail email@example.com
Home-Schooled Students: Provide an academic overview that includes course descriptions, books used, methods of evaluation, and the grades received (credit contracts).
- Opens: February 21
- Closes: July 1
Eligibility for Terp Young Scholars
To apply and participate, a student must:
- Be a rising high school freshmen, sophomore, junior, or senior;
- Have an academic average of 3.25 or better;
- Demonstrate maturity, self-discipline, motivation, and a desire to succeed, and
- Understand and agree that attendance for the entire three-week program, including the program’s orientation date, is required and mandatory.
Accepted students are notified via e-mail approximately 10 days after their file is complete. The file is complete when the application (with non-refundable application fee), transcript, and letter of recommendation have been received. Files are reviewed and admission made on a first-come, first-served basis. Reminder notices regarding missing items are sent to the email address provided on the application form. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all materials are sent and received. To inquire about the status of your application, email firstname.lastname@example.org.