Apply - U.S. Citizens
|U.S. Citizen Process||Deadline, 11 p.m.|
|Application Opens||January 5|
|Admission Notification (first-come, first served)||January 7 - June 15|
|Application Closes||June 1|
To participate in Terp Scholars-Online, U.S. Citizens must read “Important Considerations” and complete Steps 1-2.
Eligibility—A Student Must:
- Be a rising high school freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, or graduating senior; and
- Have an unweighted academic average of 3.0 or better.
- All student information collected in the application system is used to create a University of Maryland student account. Please ensure student information (Name, DOB, etc.) is correctly entered on the application. Once an application is submitted any errors with student information can only be updated after a copy of birth certificate or social security card is sent for verification.
Social Security Number (SSN)
- Applicants are encouraged to use their SSN. Not using the SSN will have implications on confirming program admission, and affect any future applications to UMD. All applicants planning to utilize UM Tuition Remission must include their SSN on the application.
- A non-refundable $75 application fee is required for all first-time applicants. With the exception of returning students (see below), the program does not waive the application fee.
- The $75 application fee is waived for returning students. Email firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting the application (see Step 1) to receive a fee waiver code. Returning students must complete Application Steps 1 - 2. Students dismissed from the program are not eligible to return.
- The TYS 2021 application is now closed. The application will reopen Jan. 2022.
A transcript (report card) of applicant's secondary school academic record must include grades and cumulative GPA for all secondary schoolwork completed, including current coursework. An unofficial transcript is acceptable. Applicants may submit transcripts directly to the application system or fax/mail per instructions on the transcript form.
- Home-Schooled Applicants: Provide an academic overview that includes course descriptions, books used, methods of evaluation, and the grades received (credit contracts).
- GPA Exception Appeal: If there are extenuating circumstances that have negatively impacted your GPA, you can submit a GPA Exception Appeal via email to email@example.com. This appeal should be no longer than 250 words and include your name, intended Terp Scholars course, circumstances that have impacted your GPA, and how you are prepared to succeed in the program despite these obstacles.
Notification and Confirmation of Admission
- Applications are reviewed and admission made on a first-come, first-served basis. Reminder notices regarding missing items are sent to the email address provided on the application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all materials are sent and received. Check your spam folder. To inquire about the status of your application, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Following the offer of admission to Terp Scholars, parents/guardians and students must complete the Confirmation of Admission process. The process opens March 1. This information is included in the offer of admission. Should confirmation not be completed by posted deadline, the offer of admission will be rescinded.