Non-Program Student Registration
Graduate Students Seeking Permission to Register
The Graduate School has determined that UMD graduate students may enroll in any UMD graduate course, subject to appropriate permissions. Courses in programs administered through the Office of Extended Studies have major code registration restrictions. Here are additional restrictions to consider:
- Students admitted into a program that uses the semester calendar may not enroll in a program that uses the term calendar.
- Students admitted into a program that uses the term calendar may not enroll in a program that uses the semester calendar.
- Email your academic advisor for enrollment permission. If you're an international student, contact International Student & Scholar Services to ensure eligibility.
- Email the program’s academic director. Contact information is located on the program website.
- Provide full name and UID, asking for permission to enroll.
- Include your academic advisor’s approval email.
- Include the course #, section #, and semester/term information for the course in which you want permission to register.
- The program’s academic director determines whether to provide a permission to enroll stamp.
- Once you have received notification that a stamp has been entered, you may register for the specified course #, section #, and semester/term.
- Tuition is charged at the program rate.
- If you are receiving the tuition remission benefit and there is a balance due, you will be responsible for this difference. Tuition remission benefit questions should be directed to your unit’s human resource office.
Undergraduate Students Seeking Permission to Register
Graduate programs administered through the Office of Extended Studies are self-support, such that tuition paid by an enrolled student directly support all the costs of instruction. Undergraduate tuition is used to off-set the costs of instruction for state-supported programs and, as such, may not be accessed to finance these self-support programs. Undergraduate students interested in registering for courses in programs that use the semester calendar would be charged tuition at the program rate and would be responsible for submitting payment. Courses in programs that use the term calendar are not open to undergraduates.