Requirements: The Graduate School
A student applying for admission to a graduate program at the University of Maryland must meet the following minimum admission criteria as established by the Graduate School.
- Applicants must have earned a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or an equivalent degree from a non-U.S. institution.
- Applicants must have earned a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework.
- Applicants must provide an official copy of a transcript for all of their post-secondary work.
Additional program-specific requirements and deadlines may be found on the program’s application page. Each program has a specific major code which must be used when applying.
- Master of Science in Applied Economics. Major code ECAO. Meets in Washington, D.C.
- Master of Science in Applied Economics. Major code ECAM. Meets at the UMD College Park campus.
- Graduate Certificate in Economic Analysis. Major code Z074. Meets in Washington, D.C.
- Graduate Certificate in Economic Analysis. Major code Z098. Meet at the UMD College Park campus.
Applying to The Graduate School
- Domestic applicants follow The Graduate School Application Process.
- International applicants follow The Graduate School International Admissions Process.
Official transcripts are required. A PDF of the unofficial transcript, however, may be used to accompany the online application. If official transcripts are not submitted at the time of application, students receive provisional admission. Official transcripts must be submitted to receive full admission. Such information is provided in the Graduate School’s admission notification; no additional reminders are sent. Failure to submit official transcripts by the end of your first semester results in a registration block. The Graduate School removes the block when official transcripts have been received.
Send official transcripts to:
Enrollment Services Operation
0130 Mitchell Building
7999 Regents Drive
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
- Students who successfully complete requirements for the Graduate Certificate may apply these credits towards the Master of Science if the student applies and is admitted. If applying within a five-year period of completion, students do not need to re-submit accompanying application materials or pay the application fee.
- Except for the 12-week Summer Term, students admitted into the UMCP format may not enroll in courses/sections offered in the WDC format. Students admitted into the WDC format may only enroll courses/sections offered in the WDC format.
- International applicants requiring an I-20 can only apply for the MS-UMCP format.
- The Golden Identification Program is not eligible for Continuing Education Programs (Graduate, Post-Baccalaureate, Non-Credit Learning) administered through the Office of Extended Studies. See Golden ID Program.