Skip to main content

Financial Aid & Alternative Payment

Opportunities for financial aid include State or Federal, UMD Funding, Undocumented/DACA Students, and International Students.

State and/or Federal

  • Many graduate students are eligible for a range of financial resources to fund their studies including loans (federal and private), scholarships, grants, or institutional aid. For all questions relating to UMD Sources of Funding, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at
  • Note: Graduate certificates are non-degree granting programs and do not meet eligibility requirements for federal financial aid. For further information, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at

UMD Sources of Funding

Undocumented and DACA students

  • Maryland State Financial Aid Application (MSFAA) is available to applicants who are ineligible to receive federal aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Undocumented students, including DACA students, are NOT eligible for federal financial aid. To be considered for certain State financial aid programs, such as Educational Assistance Grants, Guaranteed Access Grants, etc. the MSFAA is required.  

International Students

  • International students are restricted in receiving certain types of financial aid. See Available Options.

A convenient alternative to lump sum tuition payments. By enrolling in the plan, you can make monthly payments with no interest. The Terp Payment Plan may NOT be used for Winter Session, Summer Session, or graduate programs that use the term calendar.

For assistance and information, visit UMD’s Office of Veteran’s Benefits. Veterans are only certified for the current term. Benefits do not automatically roll over from one term to another. To ensure that your student record properly reflects your status, email

For professional graduate programs, tuition remission is calculated at the in-state graduate rate. If the program charges a higher tuition, the student is responsible for the difference. Tuition remission does not cover mandatory student services or other fees. Fee payment is required by the posted deadlines.  UMD System employees receive authorization from their home institution. UMCP employees work with their department’s human resources staff. See UMCP UHR Tuition Remission.

Third-Party/Sponsored Billing is when a private or government agency is paying any portion of your tuition or fees and are requesting a bill from the University.

Questions? Contact Us