Courses, Delivery & Online Access
To view courses that fulfill UMD General Education requirements, see General Education - Summer 2023 (Coming soon).
Testudo (Schedule of Classes) lists the academic units offering courses during Summer Session.
- Select an academic unit to view the courses offered.
- Select Show Sections to determine delivery method, time, classroom location, available seats, etc.
- Students can also search for courses by delivery method. Below are the types of delivery methods as well as how to recognize the notations.
- The class meets in person, in a classroom, for all class meetings.
- On Testudo (Schedule of Classes), in person delivery has no icon and has specific meeting times and locations.
- The class meets both in person and online.
- On Testudo (Schedule of Classes), there is an icon that appears under the section number that denotes blended. The location for the in person element will provide a specific classroom. The location for the online element will indicate “ONLINE.”
- Instruction for the online element can be provided in one of three ways: asynchronous, synchronous, or a combination of both. See Online Instructional Options, below.
- The class only meets online.
- On Testudo (Schedule of Classes), there is an icon that appears under the section number. The location will indicate “ONLINE.”
- Instruction can be provided in one of three ways: asynchronous, synchronous, or a combination of both. See Online Instructional Options, below.
- The instructor provides students with online content to review on their own time. Student is not required to log in at a specific time. Course information will have this notation: Class time/details on ELMS.
- Synchronous instruction is provided in real-time, where the class meets online at specified times. Students are expected to be in class, online, at the specified time(s). This information will be listed as a specific online meeting time.
- Some portions of the course are provided synchronously, and other portions are provided asynchronously. Specific meeting dates/times for the synchronous portion of the course are listed.
- Class meets both face-to-face and online. The location for the face-to-face element will provide a specific classroom and meet time. The location for the online element will indicate “ONLINE.” Instruction for the online element can be provided in one of three ways: asynchronous, synchronous, or a combination of both.
- ELMS (Electronic Learning Management System) is the online environment that supports online learning at UMD.
- Most courses have some type of online content and ELMS offers access to the following:
- Static Content - Syllabi, schedules, announcements, and lecture notes.
- Interactive Content - Discussion groups, live chats, and assessments.
- TERPmail is required to access ELMS.
- The course instructor must first load the online content into ELMS.
- This may not occur earlier than 24-48 hours prior to the course start date. Some instructors may wait until the first day of class.
- Only students who are registered and on the official class list can access the content.
- Students who register late: It may take up to 24 hours for ELMS to give access.
UMD Online Resources
- Accessibility and Disability Service: Online Portal Services
- Career Center: Online Career Management Tool
- Libraries: Online Resources and Services
- Online Student Success Orientation: Free workshop with strategies for successful online learning.
- Writing Center Online Tutoring