Curriculum & Plan of Study: GC - Organic & Sustainable Agriculture
Mentoring and advising are an essential part of the program. Students meet with faculty and the academic program director to ensure that educational goals and career learning and development goals are met. To learn more, prospective students should contact the program directors:
- The GC-Organic and Sustainable Agriculture has a 12-credit, 4-course curriculum that focuses on sustainability through examining both the ecosystem services provided by beneficial insects, as well as the management of injurious insects. Ecological functions of insects in the natural and anthropogenic landscape is illustrated and discussed, including the development of a list of sustainable practices for conserving and managing insects in the landscape. Student learn about pest management options that do not require the use of synthetic chemical pesticides and focuses on organic alternative.
- Program can be completed in in twelve months of continuous part-time enrollment. See Designation of Full-time/Part-time Status.
- Program uses the term academic calendar with classes held in 12-week terms: I (fall), II (winter), III (spring), IV (summer).
- Below is a listing of all program courses. For a detailed course description that includes pre-requisites or co-requisites, see The Graduate School Catalog, Course Listing as follows: ENTM Course Descriptions
ENTM710: Insect Biodiversity, Physiology and Ecology
ENTM730: Plant Diagnostics
ENTM740: Organic Practices
- See the sample plan of study, below. Students should use this as a guide to develop a plan with the academic program director.
- Actual course offerings are determined by the program and may vary semester to semester. Students should note if a course has a pre-requisite or co-requisite.
- Specific class meeting information (days and time) is posted on UMD’s interactive web service services, Testudo. Once on that site, select “Schedule of Classes,” then the term/year. Courses are listed by academic unit.
- The program uses specific section codes for registration, which are listed on the sample plan of study.
Sample Plan of Study
|Term||Year||Course Number||Section Code||Credits|
- The program features 100% online instruction with engaging and interactive learning.
- Instruction provided by University of Maryland faculty and professionals in the field.
- Using advanced audio and video technology, UMD’s online learning environment delivers dynamic and interactive content.
- Featuring convenience and flexibility, online instruction permits asynchronous or synchronous participation.
- Lectures are video archived. Students who are unable to attend in real time can review the session through asynchronous participation.