Skip to main content


All Calendar Types Fall (16-week) or Term I (12-week) Winter (3-week) or Term II (12-week) Spring (16-week) or Term III (12-week) Summer (6-week) or Term IV (12-week)
Registration Opens April 5 November 1 December 1 March 1

To determine what courses are offered for an upcoming semester/term, see your program’s plan of study. You’ll also find information on the section code which must be used when registering.

Follow these step-by-step instructions to view the scheduled courses for course meet information.

  1. Visit Testudo.
  2. Select Schedule of Classes.
  3. In the box marked Term: Select the specific semester/term and year.
  4. Select Search.
  5. A listing of all UMD departments offering courses for that term/year will appear.
  6. Scroll down and click on the program’s department.
  7. Scroll down to the course and select Show Sections.
  8. Courses use the sections provided in the program’s plan of study (see “Determine Courses & Section,” above).

Follow these step-by-step instructions to register for the scheduled courses.

  1. Visit Testudo.
  2. Click on Registration (Drop/Add).
  3. Log in with your Directory ID and password.
  4. Select the appropriate term.
  5. Enter the course(s) and section number(s) (ex. PC01) into the Drop/Add Table and click Submit Changes.
    • A message may appear in the course block.
    • Read the message then click Ok to add the course.
  6. To view your schedule when complete, click View Schedule.

Continuous Registration Requirement

Health Requirements

Graduate students must comply with UMD health requirements prior to the first day of their first semester/term.  Failure to comply will lead to a registration block which only the University Health Center can remove.

Official Transcripts

See Submit Official Transcripts.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

See Academic Probation and Dismissal.

Graduate Students Seeking Permission to Register

The Graduate School has determined that UMD graduate students may enroll in any UMD graduate course, subject to appropriate permissions. Courses in programs administered through the Office of Extended Studies have major code registration restrictions. Here are additional restrictions to consider:

  • Students admitted into a program that uses the semester calendar may not enroll in a program that uses the term calendar.
  • Students admitted into a program that uses the term calendar may not enroll in a program that uses the semester calendar.

Registration Procedure

  1. Email your academic advisor for enrollment permission. If you’re an international student, contact International Student & Scholar Services to ensure eligibility.
  2. Email the program’s academic director. Contact information is located on the program website.
    • Provide full name and UID, asking for permission to enroll.
    • Include your academic advisor’s approval email.
    • Include the course #, section #, and semester/term information for the course in which you want permission to register.
    • The program’s academic director determines whether to provide a permission to enroll stamp.
    • Once you have received notification that a stamp has been entered, you may register for the specified course #, section #, and semester/term.
  3. Tuition is charged at the program rate.
    • If you are receiving the tuition remission benefit and there is a balance due, you will be responsible for this difference. Tuition remission benefit questions should be directed to your unit’s human resource office.

Undergraduate Students Seeking Permission to Register

Graduate programs administered through the Office of Extended Studies are self-support, such that tuition paid by an enrolled student directly support all the costs of instruction. Undergraduate tuition is used to off-set the costs of instruction for state-supported programs and, as such, may not be accessed to finance these self-support programs. Undergraduate students interested in registering for courses in programs that use the semester calendar would be charged tuition at the program rate and would be responsible for submitting payment. Courses in programs that use the term calendar are not open to undergraduates.

Use the OES contact form. Include your full name, program name, and a complete statement regarding the request.

Questions? Contact Us